Pay My Bill

Utilities Business Office

We provide billing and customer service for water, sewer, refuse collection and recycling pick-up.

  • Customer Service Email -
  • Customer Service Phone - 330-375-2554 - 8:00am to 4:00pm
  • Customer Service Fax - 330-375-2308

Make A Payment

Customers May Make Payments Through The Following:

Pay My Bill
  • Over the phone at (330) 375-2554.
  • Online using the button above or at
    • Note: using other online payment providers may delay your payment posting and result in service disconnection
  • By mail to: Utilities Business Office, PO Box 3674, Akron, OH, 44309. 
  • Drop off at the exterior depository night slot located at 1180 S. Main Street
  • Utility Business Office at 1180 S. Main Street, Suite 110 (Russ Pry County Building Customer Service Lobby), which is open to assist customers Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm, holidays excluded. 

The Utilities Business Office Drop Box

Use the UBO payment drop box located at 1180 S. Main St to drop off check or Money order payments (NO CASH PLEASE).

Be sure to write your account number on your payment and include you bill remittance stub to ensure proper application to your account.


Please call or e-mail us if you are an Akron homeowner with Homestead Exemption through the Summit County Fiscal Office. If you are sending an email, please include your name, address, account number and a daytime phone number.

Rater Type 2023 Rate Increase 2024 Rate
Regular $23.72 $0.33 $24.05
Homestead $12.86 $0.18 $13.04

Any additional questions concerning  your bill, please contact the Utility Business Office at (330) 375-2554 or via email at

2024 Water Rates

Beginning in 2024, the City of Akron will be implementing a new water rate structure. 

What are the changes:

  • Akron is increasing the water rate from $2.73 per HCF to $3.06 per HCF which is a $0.33 raise
  • Akron is significantly reducing the old declining block rate system which historically has given big discounts to the largest consumers of Akron water
  • Akron is adding a fixed infrastructure charge based on water meter size
    • For residential customers, that fixed charge will be $9
    • See the chart below for the fixed fee for all meter sizes

fixed charge table

The City is also launching a new water affordability program called the Akron Water Bill Assistance Program. Click here for more info or visit

You can determine your estimated new payment by using the city’s calculator tool below. Choose your city or township, confirm whether you are a residential or commercial customer, insert your usual monthly usage in HCF and see your estimated new payment. 

Form >> Authorization to Turn Water Service ON
The owner is providing authorization to turn on the water or leave the water on.  Heat must be on Dec 1st through April 1st.

Form >> Authorization  to Turn Water Service OFF
The owner is requesting to turn off the water.  There is a $40.00 fee associated with a voluntary shutoff and all property owners will be required to pay a $4.00 per month "availability fee" for fire service protection during the time the water is off inside the property. 

Form >> Curb Service and Sewer Service Affidavits
If your property will be vacant for at least an entire calendar month, with a notarized affidavit we will suspend charges for curb service and sewer (properties without city water only). The affidavit must be completed by the deed holder of the property and signed by a notary. You must contact the business office once the home is occupied to resume curb service collection.
***NOTE: We will only credit a maximum of two (2) months of previously billed sewer or curb service.

Form >> Utility Bill Relief Affidavit
Customers that recently received a high water bill due to a toilet leak, burst pipe or an underground leak may be eligible for a reduction in the associated excess sewer charge (and water charge for an underground leak) if reported in a timely manner. 

To apply for a reduction, please submit a fully completed and notarized Utility Bill Relief Affidavit within 10 business days of the high bill.  Please contact Customer Service at 330-375-2554 if you have any questions.

Form >> Third-Party Notification
Our "Third Party Notification" program allows an owner to designate a "third party" to receive a copy of any past due bill, such as a landlord, property manager or other family member. You can have peace of mind that there is someone else who will be notified of a bill payment problem.

Form >> "No Extension"
Landlords may prevent payment extensions without written authorization by the owner or properrty manager by placing a request for "No Extensions" on an account.
Form >> Permission to Act as Agent (ACH)
Deed holders may grant permission for a tenant to pay the water, sewer, and/or curb service/recycling bill by monthly ACH automatic payment.

Form >> Permission to Act as Agent (Land Contracts)
Deed holders who have sold their property through land contract may grant permission to the land contract buyer to act as their agent in matters relating to water, sewer, and/or curb service/recycling collection service for the affected property.

Form >> Permission to Act as Agent Relocation/Realtor
For deed holders who are selling their property and wish to grant permission to a relocation company and/or realtor to act as their agent in matters relating to water, sewer, and/or curb service/recycling collection for the affected property.

Form >> Real Estate Licensee Temporary Service Contract
For real estate licensees who need the water and sewer service turned on temporarily for testing or an inspection. By using a ‘Real Estate Licensee Temporary Service Contract’ form, the licensee is taking full responsibility for payment of the water and sewer service at the property while the contract is in effect.


Where do I mail my payment?
How do I read my water meter?
How to read and understand your utility bill.
What is Akron Waterways Renewed!?
What are Operational Expenses?
What are Capital Improvements?
When is an account charged the $4.00 per month "availability" fee?
Why is there a $40.00 fee for disconnecting water service?
How do I recognize a Water Department employee who comes to my home?
What is the cost to fill a swimming pool?
Why doesn't the City allow a sewer discount when I fill my pool?
Can I receive credit for curb service and sewer if my home is vacant?
Will Water Department employees use a lock box to gain entry to a vacant property to turn on or off water service?
How can I donate to Akron Cares?

Lower My Bill (Includes Utility Discount Programs)

HEAP Sewer Rate Discount
Homestead Exemption
Irrigation / Hose Bibb Meter
$5.00 Credit Offer
Water Saving Tips
How to check for leaks
High Bill Due to a Burst Pipe or Leaking Toilet
Akron Cares

Customer Service

Calculate Your Bill
Water and Sewer Rates
Curb Service Rates
Rules and Regulations