START YOUR CAREER.
FIND YOUR PURPOSE WITH APD
The Akron Police Department is proud to serve the diverse and thriving community of Akron. Joining our team will provide you with a fulfilling and long-lasting career where you can explore various opportunities within our agency.
Join Our Team
THE BEST TRAINING AVAILABLE
TRAINING THAT IS SECOND TO NONE.
The Training Bureau is staffed by highly skilled and experienced officers that work tirelessly to prepare cadets for a successful career as a police officer. Our in-house, paid academy is designed to provide cadets with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, including laws, procedures, rules and regulations, community policing, de-escalation techniques, and more. The training bureau focuses on physical fitness and self-defense to ensure that cadets are prepared for the physical demands of the job. Through a combination of classroom instruction, hands-on training, and real-world experience, the Akron Police Department’s Training Bureau successfully prepares cadets to serve their community as professional and dedicated police officers.
- $2,000 sign on bonus!
- 10 Hour shifts with every other weekend off!
- $76,607.29 top police officer pay
- 26-week paid academy ($30.61/hr starting pay)
- Duty weapon, uniform and equipment provided
- $1,225 uniform bonus/allowance per year
- Start with 80 hours of vacation per year.
- 15 Paid holidays
- Free Stark State tuition (More info here)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Full health, dental and vision insurance are available for officers and eligible family members.
- Life Insurance
- Be within the age range 20.5 years through 45 years by the closing date for applications
- Have graduated from high school or have a GED
- Possess a valid driver’s license, free of revocation or suspension
- Have no felony convictions
- Not be on probation or parole
- Be able to safely perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Meet established physical standards under Ohio law
- Not be prohibited by law from acquiring, having, carrying, or using firearms
- Be a US Citizen or must have a valid permanent resident card (Green Card)