Become A Firefighter
Applications Currently Closed
The Akron Fire Department is currently not accepting applications but will reopen applications in the near future.
Would you like to be part of our team?
We need members of our community to step up and keep our neighborhoods, property, and citizens safe and improve the quality of life within the community. Be a hero!
You must have:
- Valid Driver’s License
- High school diploma or GED
- Between the ages of 17 – 35 at the time of the Firefighter/Medic test.
Join our highly regarded Fire Department and begin a rewarding career!
Start a Rewarding Career!
Alongside a rewarding career as a Firefighter/Medic we also offer these benefits:
- Starting salary $61,214.40 annually
- Cadets will be paid while attending the academy
- Health Care Plan
- Skill development
- Tuition-Free college courses through the City of Akron’s
- Workforce Development Program via Stark State College
- Career advancement opportunities
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Leave
- Retirement pension
What is Training Like?
Akron Fire Department cadets undergo a 15-week training program to get them physically and mentally prepared for service. Trained professionals and veterans instruct cadets on the ins and outs of fire safety and teach them crucial lifesaving and fire combating techniques.
We documented the most recent cadet class in the following video series:
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Note: Candidate preparation for the physical ability should include both aerobic exercise and strength training.
Akron Fire Division Removal Standards - Download pdf