Your browser does not support JavaScript I want to

Contact Info and Maps
News and Entertainment


All Akron residents must file annual city income tax returns by April 15th of each year, whether or not they have been fully withheld and/or have paid a municipal income tax to another community. Akron's income tax is also levied on the wages of all non-residents who  work in Akron.   As a result, many questions arise. Listed below is a series of topics that present the basic facts about Akron's municipal income tax.

What is the City of Akron Income Tax rate and what type of income is taxable?

As of 1/1/2018 our tax rate is 2.5%. For years prior to that our tax rate is 2.25%. Generally, an individual's gross income (including income which is deferred) and a business's net profits are taxable.  Click on the following link for a list of taxable  and non-taxable income.  A list is also available from our Income Tax Office.

Is it possible to file my Akron Income Tax returns electronically or online?

Absolutely!  Akron was the first city in the state of Ohio to have online tax filing for its residents, beginning with tax year 1999.

I am an Akron resident and work in an area with no municipal tax or where the tax withheld is lower than Akron's 2.5%

You must file a Form D-1 (Declaration of Estimated Income Tax) by April 15th of each year, if the estimate of tax that will not be withheld exceeds two hundred ($200.00). On it you must estimate the amount of tax you will owe for the year. One-fourth of the estimate must be paid with the Form D-1. Subsequent payments are due June 15th and September 15th of the current year, and January 15th of the following year.

   [Note: This requirement is waived for the first year of eligibility.]

Is it possible to amend my estimate during the year?

Yes. On the back of each quarterly statement (Form AQ-1) is a form for amending your Declaration of Estimated Income Tax. Complete it and put a check mark in the box on the front of the form to indicate that the Declaration has been amended.

Is there an age limit for individuals subject to Akron Income Tax?

All individuals under eighteen years of age are exempt from city of Akron Income Tax and are eligible for a refund of municipal tax withheld. In the year in which you turn 18 any income you earn after you turn 18 is subject to Akron Income Tax. 

I am retired.  My only income is from Social Security, company pension, interest and dividends.  Am I required to file a return?

No.  You are not required to file an income tax return with Akron, nor are you taxed by Akron on these types of income.  However, you must file an exemption certificate with us so we will not send you income tax returns in future years.

If an individual files late, is there a penalty?

Yes.  The penalty rate is  a straight 15% . Interest will be calculated at the July federal short-term interest rate plus 5%.

Can I receive assistance in preparing my City of Akron Income Tax Return?

Yes, we are open to serve the public Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. However, we are closed on all national holidays. 

Where can I find a copy of the Akron Income Tax Ordinance and Rules and Regulations?

Both the Income Tax Ordinance and the Rules and Regulations can be viewed or printed from our website.


  S Corporations

The municipal income tax imposed on a resident S Corporation (one with a physical presence within the corporate boundaries of Akron) is on the entity rather than the individual member.  There is also an Akron income tax levied on the distributive share of a resident owner of a non-resident, Ohio S Corporation.  This individual must complete Worksheet SE to calculate the proper taxable income figure.

   Stock Options

 The taxable portion of a stock option is the difference between the "issue price" and the "market price at exercise" when the stock option is exercised.

Early Retirement / Separation Payouts

Regardless of the terminology assigned to the payout (e.g. retirement incentive, separation pay, termination pay, etc.) the payout is taxable if the recipient was employed within the city of Akron at the time of retirement.  The residence of the individual at the time of the payout has no bearing on the taxability of the payout.

Lump Sum Distributions

Lump sum distributions made from qualified pension and profit-sharing trusts, and not made pursuant to an employee's retirement, are taxable.

Estimated Payments

Our regulation is similar to that of the IRS.  To avoid penalty and interest assessments for underpayment of estimated taxes, we require at least 90% of the final tax due Akron, or 100% of the prior year liability be remitted to us in four equal quarterly installments.  If 90% has   been paid in by the fourth quarter due date, but for example, was all paid within the fourth quarter, then penalty and interest will be assessed for late quarterly payments.

Federal Schedules

When submitting copies of Federal schedules please remember to copy both sides of schedules where appropriate.  Processing delays will occur when insufficient documentation is provided.  Be sure to include Schedules C and E when filing your Akron tax return.


Taxpayers who file a return timely but make a late payment of the taxes due will be assessed penalty and interest up to the time the payment is made.  When a taxpayer can demonstrate that he is financially unable to meet his tax obligation, it may be possible to obtain a one-time payment agreement with the Income Tax Division.

Gross Income

Akron income tax is on gross income, yet in the past we have found instances where tax has not been withheld on certain income (e.g. deferred income and tips). If there is any question as to whether a specified source of income is taxable we suggest you presume that it is, in order to avoid probable penalty and interest assessments for non-withholding.


Any taxes withheld by an employer are held in trust.  It is illegal to withhold any sum and not forward it on to the Income Tax Division as is required by City Ordinance .  Businesses must deposit withheld taxes monthly or quarterly, depending on the amount withheld.  These payments must also be made electronically, using one of the 3 EFT Debit or Credit Methods.


Extension requests are no longer preapproved by the Income Tax Division.    Attach a copy of your Federal Extension Request to your Akron Income Tax Return.  Your extension will be approved as long as your tax account is not delinquent in any manner.  The extended time is 45 days after the extension date approved by the IRS.

Filing an extension with us does NOT relieve you of the responsibility for making payment, by the original due date, of the anticipated tax due.

Independent Contractors

Many individuals claim to be operating as independent contractors, and some employers have classified certain employees to be independent contractors.  However, in some instances we have determined that these are misclassifications.   We follow the Federal guidelines as to determining "independent contractor" status and may request that the company produce a federal determination from an SS-8 audit.

Contractors (building trades)

All contractors must be registered with the City's Income Tax Division before performing work in the City.  Many are also required to obtain a COR (Certificate of Registration) before building permits or licenses can be issued. (See Section 99.09 H & I of the Income Tax Ordinance.)


The Akron Income Tax Division requires companies to file copies of the 1099's that they issue.  (1099's for interest or dividend payments are excluded.)  1099's can be filed on diskette or CD using a simple text or Excel compatible spreadsheet format.

Taxpayers who receive 1099's for services performed in the City of Akron, or one of its JEDDs, are also required to file and report this income.

Gambling Winnings

Gambling winnings, including lottery winnings, are taxable to the City of Akron.  Gambling losses are not deductible against gambling winnings unless the taxpayer is deemed to be a "professional gambler," where gambling is the taxpayer's primary business activity for federal tax purposes.  Gambling losses are not deductible against any taxable income.

Real Estate & Insurance Sales

Agents who work in real estate or insurance, whose employer's or broker's office is located in Akron must pay Akron's income tax on all commissions earned, regardless of the location of the property sold or point-of-sale of insurance.  This applies to Akron residents and  nonresident salespersons alike, whether employees or self-employed.

Rental Properties

If the gross monthly rent from any real property exceeds $250.00 per month, the net income is taxable to the City of Akron.


Top Requests
and Concerns

Mayor Don  Plusquellic

Search | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Careers | Contact Us

© 2016 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.

This page was printed from the City of Akron Web site
Visit us online at
© 2015 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.