Your browser does not support JavaScript I want to

Contact Info and Maps
News and Entertainment

Contact Us/FAQ

Akron Water Supply
Water Distribution Division

1460 Triplett Blvd
Akron, OH. 44306

View Larger Map

Telephone Numbers:
To report water leaks or emergencies:
Phone: (330) 375-2420 (24 hour dispatch)

For water administration offices:
Phone: (330) 375-2227 (M-F 7:30am-4pm)

For meter services, including water service turn on/off, meter problems:
Phone: (330) 375-2440 (M-F 8am-4pm)

For water engineering, including backflow and new service applications:
Phone: (330) 375-2690 (M-F 7:30am-4pm)

For all billing and account issues, contact the Utilities Business Office:
Phone: (330) 375-2554 (M-F 8am-4:30pm)

My water has an unusual smell, taste, or discolored appearance. What should I do?

• A change in your water's taste, color, or smell is not necessarily a health concern. When the flow rate is increased in the water mains near you by someone using a fire hydrant, the water can become temporarily discolored without being a health hazard, and should return to normal with time and water usage.

If the water becomes discolored, it can take several hours for the water to clear.  DO NOT run the water to try and clear lines.  Give the water a chance to settle back down.

Steps to take to check if water is clearing:

  1.  Turn on cold water faucet only
  2. Let the water run for about 5 minutes.  This brings the water from the water main in to the house and clears the line from the main to the faucet.
  3. If the water is still discolored, turn off the water and re-check in an hour.

• Typically during the summer months you may experience an odor that can be described as musty, earthy, and or dirty. This is a normal event and is due to natural occurring seasonal activity in the raw water reservoirs. The plant has treatment processes to help minimize the odor.

• An odor sometimes described as “cat urine” can occur when odors from new carpet installations mix with faint odors from your drinking water. If you have recently installed new carpets, the odor should slowly disappear over the next one to three weeks.

Steps to take to check if the odor is actually in the cold water:

  1. Turn on the cold water faucet only and let run for 5 minutes.
  2. Fill a clean glass with water, go to a different room, and smell the water.

• Sometimes changes can be a sign of problems. If you notice an unusual change in your water, call the Akron Water Supply Bureau Distribution Division.

What is that black ring in my toilet bowl?

• The black ring is caused by an airborne fungus.  The spores land wherever it is damp and can also be found around the ends of faucets, around leaky faucet handles, and showers.

We recommend 3 applications of straight bleach to help kill the spores and leaving the lid to the toilet down.

How can I find out more about what is in my water?

• You can see the test results of all certified tests performed on Akron’s drinking water by clicking the Consumer Confidence Report link . If you have any further questions about Akron water quality, call the Akron Water Plant at 330.678.0077.

Who owns the water meters?

• The City owns meters ranging from 5/8" to 1" used for domestic or irrigation purposes. All other meters are owned by the customer and maintained by the City of Akron at the owner's expense.

The line into my house is leaking. Whose responsibility is it?

• The line into the house is called the houseline. The houseline is the homeowner's responsibility to maintain.

The valve by my meter is leaking. Whose responsibility is it?

• The main valve is the responsibility of the homeowner. If it is not working or it is leaking, it is up to the homeowner to have it repaired or replaced.

My meter is leaking at the connections. Whose responsibility is it?

• The water meter itself and the two swivel connections are the Water Department's responsibility. If the meter is leaking or the swivel connections are leaking where they attach to the meter, call the Water Department at (330) 375-2440 to make an appointment for us to come out and correct the problem.

How do I recognize a Water Department employee who comes to my home?

• Any Water Department employee who visits your home will carry a photo identification card that they will show you at your request. For your safety, always ask to see this identification card before allowing the person into your home. Should someone posing as an employee refuse to show the identification card, do NOT let them into your home. Please call the Police at (330) 375-2181 immediately to report the impostor.

The water pressure is low in my house and slowly getting worse. What can be done to increase it?

• What most people call low pressure is actually low volume. Volume is the number of gallons per minute flowing through your water lines. The water pressure (which is measured in psi or pounds per square inch) in the water main serving your residence will be the pressure in your line. The volume can vary greatly from house to house on a given street due to a number of factors.

• If you have an old galvanized houseline or galvanized interior pipes, over time these corrode and will reduce the interior diameter of the pipe to as small as a pin hole. To fix the problem requires replacing the old galvanized interior pipes with copper or plastic pipes. If that does not solve the problem, than you have to replace the old houseline with a new K copper houseline.

My water pressure was okay and now suddenly it's very low or I have no water at all. What's wrong?

• A sudden loss of pressure or water can be due to a number of reasons. Sometimes the water will be turned off at the main valve in the house to make an interior repair and the person making the repair forgot to open the valve after the repair.

• There may have been a water main break and the main is off for repair. The crews do try to inform residents before the main is turned off but, in an emergency, they do not have the time to inform the residents first.

• Sometimes houselines develop leaks or break suddenly.

• Water meters are designed with a small screen inside them to catch any debris in the mains which might be stirred up from a repair or someone using a hydrant, and prevent it from getting into the interior plumbing. This screen can become completely covered plugging the meter and preventing water from flowing through.

• In the event of sudden loss of water or drop in pressure first check the main valve in the house and make sure it is open all the way. If there is still no water or pressure call the Water Department Meter Shop at (330) 375-2440 and a service driver will be sent to try to find the reason for the loss of water or pressure.

I turned my valve off to make a repair and I turned it back on, but now I don't have any water. What do I do?

• This can happen with what is called a gate valve. They break in the off position when they are closed. First you can try the handle on the valve opening and closing and sometimes the valve gate will reengage . If it does not reengage, please call the Water Department at (330) 375-2440 and have the water turned off at the street so the valve can be replaced

Top Requests
and Concerns

Mayor Don  Plusquellic

Search | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Careers | Contact Us

© 2016 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.

This page was printed from the City of Akron Web site
Visit us online at
© 2015 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.