Basic Traffic Rules
No person shall stand or park a vehicle on any city street or alley in any of the following conditions:
- Between the hours of 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM for a period longer than one hour, unless signs are in place indicating a different time limit;
- Within 5 feet of a driveway;
- Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant;
- Within 30 feet of a stop sign or traffic signal, within 20 feet of a crosswalk. Every intersection has a crosswalk (extension of the sidewalk) whether it is painted or not;
- In front of or adjacent to any schoolhouse or school property between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on days when school is in session;
- No person shall park or cause to be parked except for the purpose of loading or unloading any truck, tractor, trailer, moving van or other motor vehicle which is rated by the manufacturer in excess of ¾ ton or rated by the manufacturer at a gross vehicle weight in excess of 8,400 pounds;
- Vehicles shall be parked not more than 12 inches from the curb and at least one foot from another vehicle;
No driver of a motor vehicle shall intentionally avoid any traffic control device by driving across or through private property to specifically avoid such device.
Parking meters are in operation from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM weekdays only. No coins are needed Saturday, Sunday or holidays. It is illegal to "feed" a meter. Their purpose is for short-term, turn-over parking and if any additional time is needed other than posted, the vehicle should be parked elsewhere or in an off-street parking lot.
It appears many Akron Citizens are unaware of these basic traffic rules that may cause frustration, confusion or a police citation. Should you have further questions or comments, feel free to contact us at 330-375-2851.