The drinking Water Supply Bureau consists of 3 divisions which provides watershed protection, drinking water treatment and drinking water distribution to the citizens and businesses of Akron as well as many neighboring communities. Each division is listed below along with a brief description of their responsibilities. Click on the name of each division to learn more.
- Source water quality protection and security
- Management of four raw water reservoirs and nearly 20,000 acres of City owned property
- Administration of limited recreational programs
- Public education programs focused on watershed protection
- Implementation of an EPA approved Watershed Control Program
- Operation and maintenance of a Ohio EPA Class IV drinking water treatment facility
- Regulatory compliance responsibilities including an on-site certified laboratory
- Public education programs focused on water treatment
- Consumer Confidence Reports and All Water Tests
- Operation and maintenance of a more than 1,200 mile water distribution system serving approximately 300,000 customers
- Operation and maintenance of multiple pump stations, finished water holding reservoirs, elevated tanks and standpipes.
- Industrial and residential meter reading and backflow protection
- American Water Works Association
- Ohio AWWA
- Ohio EPA Drinking Water
- US EPA Drinking Water
- The History of Akron Water Supply
- 100 Years of Fresh, Clean Akron Water
- AWS 2012 Water Quality Report
- AWS Rules & Regulations
- AWS Standard Drawings
To deliver to the public an ample supply of high quality water that exceeds all regulatory requirements now and in the future.