Housing and Community Services Division
166 South High Street Room 100
Akron, OH 44308
Nancy S. Cook NCook@AkronOhio.gov
Housing & Community Services Administrator:
Thomas A. Tatum TTatum@AkronOho.gov
Housing Rehabilitation Administrator:
Douglas Taylor DMTaylor@AkronOhio.gov
The office also includes Loan and Grant Specialists and Rehabilitation Specialists.
The Housing and Community Services Division performs a variety of functions related to preserving and improving the quality of life for Akron residents. Areas of responsibility include:
- Assistance in rehabilitation and remediation of lead hazards within Neighborhood Redevelopment and Initiative Areas, Neighborhood Business Districts and LEAP-eligible areas
- Assistance in home rehabilitation for low-income, elderly, and disabled homeowners
- Provision of funding and administrative support to Community Development Corporations and Housing Development Organizations
- Provision of grant funds for assistance in home security, accessibility, and house painting services
- Implementation of the Akron Healthy Homes Production Coalition Program
- Assistance in implementation of Neighborhood Stabilization Program
Minor Home Repair
The City works with Rebuilding Together Greater Cuyahoga Valley, a nonprofit organization, to provide small grants to very low-income households for repair of one or two items in their homes. Most programs are targeted to the elderly or disabled. There is some limited assistance to very low-income owner-occupants. Call 330-375-2050 for more information.
Independent Organization Representation
In conjunction with these responsibilities, members of the Housing and Community Services Division also provide representation on a number of boards and committees affiliated with the City of Akron including:
- Ohio Conference of Community Development, Inc.
- Northeast Ohio Four-County Regional Planning & Development Organization
- Rebuilding Together
- Greenprint: Keep Akron Beautiful