Your browser does not support JavaScript I want to

Contact Info and Maps
News and Entertainment

Akron Cares

Funding for 2017 has been exhausted.

New funding for Akron Cares is scheduled to be available in January of 2018.

Applications for Akron Cares are expected to be accepted by appointment only in January of 2018.  A limited number of appointments are available, appointment schedule to be announced in December of 2017. 

You must have been issued a current disconnect notice and not already turned off to be eligible for assistance.  The Akron Cares program will not restore service that has already been disconnected.

No walk-in appointments will be available.


Please review "How to Apply for Akron Cares Assistance" below.


Akron Cares is a program where customers can pledge an amount on their monthly utility bill that will help Akron residents struggling to pay their water, sewer and curb service bill.  The contributions are tax deductible and are matched by the City dollar-for- dollar.

How to Contribute

  • As a recurring donation of a desired amount on each bill;
  • As a monthly ‘round up’ of the customer’s billed dollar amount;
  • As a one-time donation.

You can sign up online through Premium Access by selecting ‘Recurring Donations’, over the phone by calling us at 330-375-2554 or in person in the Utilities Business Office located at 146 South High Street in downtown Akron.


How to Apply for Akron Cares Assistance

Beginning on the application submission date, the property owner or their authorized representative can bring in, e-mail or fax their  current termination notice with any one of the following:

  • A current HEAP or PIPP agency approval letter (not a utility bill) for the property owner;
  • A current application for unemployment compensation for the property owner with a confirmation number;
  • A current medical bill for the property owner in excess of $1,000.00 and past due;
  • A divorce filing form from the Summit County Domestic Relations Court for the property owner within the last six (6) months.

Renters may also apply for Akron Cares if their current signed lease states they are responsible for paying the water, sewer and curb service bill and they provide a full copy of their current signed formal lease (handwritten statements are not acceptable)  in addition to the termination notice and any one of the documents listed above for the renter.

Note: The Akron Cares program is not available for and will not restore water service that has already been disconnected.


Total Assistance Available

Residents are limited to one assistance distribution per year and can only receive up to half of their past due balance, up to $300.00.  Funds must be available in the program from donations or the City’s match.  Allow at least two business days to process applications.


Top Requests
and Concerns

Mayor Don  Plusquellic

Search | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Careers | Contact Us

© 2016 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.

This page was printed from the City of Akron Web site
Visit us online at www.
© 2015 City of Akron. All Rights Reserved.