Let's Recycle Akron!
The City of Akron offers single stream recycling, which means you can combine all of your recycling together. By recycling, you not only save on your monthly bill, but you keep materials out of landfills.
To sign up, report a problem or request another cart, click on the button to the left or call 3-1-1 from a landline phone or (330) 375-2311 from a cell phone.
On the following upcoming dates, Trash and Recycling collection will not be performed. Collection will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week:
- New Years Day, January 1st
- MLK Day, January 18th
- Memorial Day, May 30th
For the entire year's schedule, please click here.
HOW DO I RECYCLE?
In short, most packaging from items you buy at a grocery store that are larger than 3" (so no pill bottles or bottle caps) and smaller than a plastic jug of laundry detergent are acceptable items in Akron. But the plastic grocery bags or trash bags are not acceptable.
Why don't we accept any item that is recyclable in nature? Because the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) that we take your recycled items to be processed only accepts the items that are listed below as acceptable. Take a brief moment to watch this video that answers this question in more detail. Thanks to NC DENR for allowing us to use:
So, here are the 5 most important rules to follow:
- Place acceptable items in your recycling cart loose...DO NOT BAG!
- Rinse the items out before placing in the cart
- Discard caps and lids into the trash
- Do not recycle plastic bags
- Do not throw medical waste, needles, and syringes into the recycling (put into a used plastic laundry detergent container, tightly close the lid, and throw into the trash)
The below video is another educational tool for our curbservice customers to help Recycle the correct way.
HERE ARE ACCEPTABLE ITEMS TO RECYCLE IN YOUR CART:
- Paper products
- Office / school papers (NON SHREDDED)
- Junk mail
- Phone books
- Beer & beverage packages
- Cereal boxes
- Tissue boxes
- Milk & juice cartons
- Soup & broth cartons
- Other food and beverage cartons
- Plastic products
- Water, soda & sports drink bottles
- Milk, iced tea, Juice containers
- Food containers such as yogurt cups, sour cream, butter, margarine, & coffee creamer
- Soap, dish liquid, & laundry detergent containers
- Cardboard (please flatten cardboard)...do not bundle!
- Aluminum and metal cans:
- Soda & beverage cans
- Soup and vegetable cans
- Tomato sauce cans
- Aluminum trays
- Glass bottles and jars
- Juice, iced tea, & beer bottles
- Canning jars
DO NOT PUT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS IN YOUR CART
THESE ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE IN THE CITY OF AKRON:
|Aerosol cans (full or empty)||Aluminum foil|
|Bottle caps or lids||Campaign signs brackets|
|Carpeting & padding||Cell phones|
|Food waste||Garden hoses|
|Glasses – drinking or eyeglasses||Grass|
|Medical Waste||Metal items|
|Pesticides||Pizza boxes – dirty|
|Plastic bags||Plastic wrap|
|Pots & pans||Railroad spikes / ties|
**Please note: there are some items above that may be "recyclable" but are not accepted at the recycling center where we take your items.**
Recycling Items That Don't Fit Into Your Cart:
The city also "recycles" large items such as automobile tires, household appliances (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, air conditioners) by collecting them weekly from your curb.
Simply place these items next to your trash and recycle carts, and we will pick them up on your normal collection day. We then take them to a local salvage company to make sure they are recycled properly and kept out of landfills.
- Recycling Flyer
- Trash & Recycling FAQ
- Keep Akron Beautiful (KAB)
- Akron Recycling Activity Book
- New Service, Simple Recycling coming soon!
- 2016 Curbservice Holiday Schedule
Robert L. Harris, Jr., Solid Waste & Recycling Manager
Municipal Service Center
1436 Triplett Blvd., Bldg. #1
Akron, Ohio 44306