The city of Akron provides trash and recycling collection once a week to residents of one, two, and three family freestanding residential units. Please use this page and the items to the right to find answers to your questions.
To report a problem or request another cart, click on the button to the left or call 3-1-1 from a landline phone or (330) 375-2311 from a cell phone.
On the following upcoming dates, Trash and Recycling collection will not be performed. Collection will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week:
- Memorial Day, May 26th
- Independence Day, July 4th
- Labor Day, September 1st
For the entire year's schedule, please click here.
FIND YOUR COLLECTION DAY:
Below is an interactive map to determine your trash and recycling collection day. You may zoom to your area if your mouse has a dial. You may also type your address in the box and it will zoom to your location. Then click the left mouse button on your street or area and a pop up box will display your collection day.
HOW TO USE OUR SERVICE:
- You must use the city issued carts for trash and recycling, no other containers or trash cans will be emptied
- Trash must be bagged and placed in the trash cart
- You may request an additional cart to use for a one time $50 charge
- Carts must be placed on the curb by 4:30 a.m. on your collection day
- Carts must be at least 3 feet apart
- Cart lids must be fully closed, without being overloaded
- Carts must be removed from the curb by 6:00 p.m. that evening
- Items not permitted in your trash and recycle carts are: hot ashes, hazardous waste, roofing material, concrete, plaster, dirt, sand, gravel, bricks, drywall and demolition/construction materials
For more information, please click here to view the Trash Service Brochure.
DISPOSING OF ITEMS THAT DO NOT FIT INTO YOUR CART:
We offer two ways to dispose of unwanted items that will not fit into your cart such as couches and refrigerators or a large volume of trash such as after moving or cleaning out your basement.
#1 - Weekly Large Item Pick Up:
Each week on your normal trash and recycling day, you may place large items on the curb next to your trash carts such as furniture and appliances. You will not be charged extra and there is no need to schedule ahead.
- Furniture such as dressers, mattresses, couches, chairs and bookcases
- Appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, freezers, microwaves, washers & dryers
- House doors, storm doors, storm windows
- Bicycles, basketball hoops (dismantled)
- Electronics such as televisions 19" and above, speakers, stereo's
- Automotive tires
Items needing to be bundled and tied, no longer than 4 feet in length:
- Wood, branches, brush, carpeting, and fencing
#2 - Special Bulk Volume Pick Up:
You must preschedule a pick up if you have a large amount of bags, boxes, or trash after cleaning out your house, basement, garage, or moving out. Each home will be allowed 3 Special Bulk Volume Pickups per year.
Most importantly, you MUST pre-schedule this pick up at least 1 working day before your collection day. Do not place the trash on your curb until 4:30pm the day before your collection day. Please pre-schedule by calling our 3-1-1 Call Center by dialing 3-1-1 from a landline phone inside the city or at 330-375-2311 from a cell phone.
TRASH & RECYCLING ASSISTANCE:
If you have a medical condition that keeps you from being able to place your carts at the curb and you don't have anyone that can assist, we want to help!
Please click here to print the form. After completing your information, you will need to have your physician sign and verify your condition. Then send it to the address on the bottom. If you have any questions, please call the 3-1-1 Call Center.
For hours of operation or to view your account online, please click here to visit the billing office website.
- 2014 Trash Service Brochure
- Trash & Recycling FAQ
- Sanitation Assistance Form
- 2014 TRASH-RECYCLE HOLIDAY SCHED
- Safe Disposal of Medical Waste
Robert L. Harris, Jr., Superintendent
Municipal Service Center
1436 Triplett Blvd., Bldg. #1
Akron, Ohio 44306
Email: R Harris@akronohio.gov