The mission and objective of the IPA is to conduct outreach about the complaint process and the services the office provides to the community. Serve as an alternative location for filing a complaint against an Akron police officer. Monitor and audit APD complaint investigations to ensure they are thorough, objective and fair and make policy recommendations to enhance and improve policies and procedures of the APD. Respond to the scene of, and review officer-involved shooting investigations.
- For police officers and the community to partner proactively to solve community problems.
- To build respect, cooperation, and trust between the police and the community.
- To improve Akron Police Department, training, oversight, monitoring, accountability and hiring practices.
- Ensure fair, equitable, courteous, and professional treatment for all.
- Establish public understanding of police policies and procedures and recognize exceptional service to foster support for the Akron Police Department
OFFICE OF THE POLICE AUDITOR
146 SOUTH HIGH STREET, Rm 615